Have you ever received a letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? The letter might be due to a discrepancy on your tax return, a notice of interest due or that your tax return is being audited. Remember the fear that overwhelms you just seeing the letter from the IRS. Even if you have done your taxes correctly just having to face the IRS sends fear down one’s spine.
With the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) announcing that they will audit 1,200 organizations in 2014 or if a patient files a HIPAA related complaint, the chance of getting a letter from the OCR is a real possibility. Now think of your reaction if in the letter they ask to see the following:
- A copy of your most recent security risk assessment
- Copies of your HIPAA Policies and Procedures
- Proof that you have provided your employees with HIPAA training and security reminders
- Your incident response plan
- Proof that you have signed agreements with all your Business Associates
The first thing you will ask yourself is:
Do I have these items!? Will they pass the OCR audit!?
The second thing you will ask yourself is:
What if I don’t have them!? What if I fail the audit!?
The fear that the IRS letter brings over a person will be very similar to the fear of an OCR audit letter.
Make sure you are prepared for an OCR HIPAA audit!
[divider] [framed_box bgColor=”#ffd390″]
HIPAA audits are coming
are you ready?
(Click on the links below for more information)
- Are you a Business Associate?
- Have you performed a Security Risk Assessment?
- Do you have written policies and procedures on how to protect patient information?
- Do you have an incident response plan?
- Do you have Business Associate Agreements with your subcontractors?
- Have you provided HIPAA security training for all employees?
Now is the time to get ready for the
HIPAA permanent audit program!