The most dangerous HIPAA action you can do is very simple:
You may be under a false sense of security because none of these events have happened to your organizations:
- You haven’t had a HIPAA breach
- You haven’t received a HIPAA fine
- You didn’t need to use a Security Incident Response Plan
- You haven’t lost a smartphone
- Your EMR hasn’t been hijacked
- Your Business Associates have not caused a data breach
- You didn’t need to implement a disaster recovery plan
- You weren’t a victim of cyber-crime or phishing scams
- You didn’t lose your backup tapes
If none of these events have happened to your organization then you should consider yourself lucky. Ask anyone who has visited Las Vegas and they will tell you that luck will only get you so far. Eventually your luck will run out.
In the New Year don’t rely on luck to protect your patient information and to keep your organization off the Wall of Shame. Take steps to ensure that you have implemented the appropriate security to protect patient information.
Make 2013 the year:
YOU DO SOMETHING!
To help you get started, download our free 5 simple and inexpensive tips to protect patient information